Author Topic: Forum upgraded to SMF 2.0  (Read 7772 times)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
We've just upgraded the forum to SMF 2.0.x. This upgrade includes many major changes - most notably a new theme, but also some small functionality tweaks we hope will become useful to our users (and staff).

The new theme has been tested extensively, but it's impossible to test it against every combination of browsers and/or OS (IE9 and Safari has not been tested for example), and I'm sure we must have overlooked a thing or two... Hopefully, all the major issues have been ironed out though, but if you have any problems or suggestions, please post about it here or send me a PM about it.

Currently, we only have one theme you can choose from, but more should be added in the future. At least one is close to completion - a version of the current theme utilizing more images for a sleeker look also in older browsers.

Known issues:
  • The implementation of quick/inline modify of posts has been disabled in Internet Explorer
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:29:37 AM by Sverre »

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flamin' Hot Cheeto Addict
Nice. it does look a little more current.  Here is my response to your last post, I just put it here instead of the frown thread.   I'm trying to keep this new place organized   :)

You mean http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?action=recent? I couldn't find a good place to put the link in the redesigned Information Center, and since it's mainly search engine spiders which use it, and apparently you too, I decided to remove it. As you can see, the functionality is still available though, so if I was in your shoes, I would probably just bookmark the link. If you REALLY can't live without the link though, I guess I can take another look at it and see if I can find an alternative location for it.

it's cool.  I just bookmarked the link, thanks. 

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
I don't know about the looks, but at least the code base should be a bit more current. I pretty much suck at Photoshop and colour schemes, so my main focus has been on the user interface, trying to make that less cluttered. It's still very much a work in progress though, and as I've said before, your comments and suggestions on how we can make it better are much appreciated.

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
Nice.  I notice I have more space in my inbox too.  (that sounds whorish).   I used to be at 87% and would have to delete old ones to make space, but now I'm at 31% .

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
Well then.

First of all, Sverre, I've been coming here on and off for years now, and while I used to use dozens of forums, this is the only one I still go on, and that's pretty much due to the fact that it's the best run and easiest to use of all forums I've seen. A job well done to you and all involved.

Now, I can't claim to be fond of the new look, but then again it's the first time I've seen it change since I've been here, so there's always an adjustment period. Substance over style will always trump, in my book.

Wahoo!

Offline born2boogie

• Sniper Assassin
  • I MISS VR
    • Poetry Forum
Nice. it does look a little more current.  Here is my response to your last post, I just put it here instead of the frown thread.   I'm trying to keep this new place organized   :)

You mean http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?action=recent? I couldn't find a good place to put the link in the redesigned Information Center, and since it's mainly search engine spiders which use it, and apparently you too, I decided to remove it. As you can see, the functionality is still available though, so if I was in your shoes, I would probably just bookmark the link. If you REALLY can't live without the link though, I guess I can take another look at it and see if I can find an alternative location for it.

it's cool.  I just bookmarked the link, thanks.

Same here I like using the recent posts too.. thanks for the link  ;)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Substance over style will always trump, in my book.

Yeah, there's no doubt that (unique) content is king on the Internet. Unfortunately, fresh VR content has been in short supply lately, and that's painfully obvious when you look at the forum's activity levels. If it's even possible to turn this trend around, I don't know, but we have to try something... With the band seemingly on indefinite hiatus, options are limited, so one of the things we've decided to try is a rearranged Board Index with a more prominent and accessible Mosh Pit. Depending somewhat on your screen size and/or resolution, the Mosh Pit should now be visible with little or no scrolling. Only time can tell if this will help or not.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Agreed. As great a site as this always was for music, it's social networking capabilities are what has kept me interested. I can't stand most networking (myspace, twitter, facebook et. al.), but the attitude and the way this board was controlled was always ideal for me. For the record, my absence didn't have anything to do with the site itself, but in this case it's mostly just an aesthetic thing.

I still say job well done, at least for the last 6 or so years since I've been here.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Got inspired to make a slight tweak to the Message Index (the page with the list of topics in it) tonight. It involves some style sheet changes, so some of you might have to make a hard reload (usually Ctrl + F5) to force your browser to load the updated style sheet.

Hope you like it :)

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
Whew! I thought I was just seeing shit. Or hadn't noticed. Don't do that to me!  :)

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
I can't see it.  Guess it hasn't kicked in for me, yet.  I feel so left out  :(  I tried the ctrl +f5 thing too.

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Hehehe... It's a small tweak, but at least in my opinion, it's definitely an improvement:

as opposed to:

It still needs some minor browser specific adjustments, but I just couldn't wait to make the change :P

Offline Trist805#2

• Sniper Assassin
ok cool.  Now I got it to work!  I am in "the club" now.   :)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Last night I finally had the time to update the unread posts/new replies pages to match the new Message Index look as well. It was basically just a copy and paste job, so there really shouldn't be any issues, but please let me know if you notice anything which looks off or doesn't work as it used to.

Offline born2boogie

• Sniper Assassin
  • I MISS VR
    • Poetry Forum
hey bud can you please put back up resent posts coz its a ball ache having to search for posts thanks..  :)

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
I'll see if I can find a place to add the link to that somewhere in the header...

Hopefully, I'll find the time to code and test it later this week. 

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
I might try to find a better location for it later, but for now, I've added the link to the user info section in the header.

It was just a small edit, but please let me know if you experience any issues with the forum's layout which could be related to the change.

Offline born2boogie

• Sniper Assassin
  • I MISS VR
    • Poetry Forum
nice one  Sverre :cheers:
I might try to find a better location for it later, but for now, I've added the link to the user info section in the header.

It was just a small edit, but please let me know if you experience any issues with the forum's layout which could be related to the change.