Author Topic: Duff leaving GNR  (Read 2461 times)

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
Why did Duff actually leave Guns n Roses -97?
From what I`ve heard he and Axl were going for the same direction for the music while Slash wanted another.... Was it the atmosphere since Slash left or what?
Does anybody have the right reason for him leaving?

Offline tomass74

• Sniper Assassin
  • http://www.myspace.com/wasted_talent69
    • Wasted Talent
Because Axl turned into a douchebag...

Offline Dufferslash_4evah

• Sniper Assassin
  • DON'T YA KNOW BIG BOY?
Axl was becoming more controlling over the recording process and Duff felt that it wasn't a band anymore with one man calling all the shots

Offline Chili

• Sniper Assassin
^^
And here is a quote from the biography on allmusic written by Carl:

"After [...]Sympathy for the Devil," the band separated to take time away from one another. Thinking that Guns N' Roses was just taking a break, McKagan started working with Slash on the Slash's Snakepit project along with the other members of Guns N' Roses, except for Rose.

Sessions for a new Guns N' Roses album continually fell apart, and McKagan started working with the Neurotic Outsiders and several solo projects from fellow- and former-Guns N' Roses members. As the years began to tick away, Rose finally sent news to the remaining members of the band that they had to stop working on other projects or they were going to be fired. That was the final straw for McKagan, as he separated from the band and joined Seattle punk rockers Ten Minute Warning, a band he had played in almost 15 years before."

Offline ShellylovesVR

• Target Practice
I found in one article (and have seen it in heaps of others) something Duff said to Axl when he quit.

He quit Guns N'Roses eight years ago and hasn't spoken to W. Axl Rose since. It was a difficult split, but one that McKagan has no regrets about. "I sat down with Axl and said this is no longer a band, it's an autocratic situation where you're calling all the shots and that's not a way to run a band. That is not how the band was formed, the band was a family. I am not interested in the Axl Rose Band under the guise of Guns N'Roses."
February 7, 2005: The Sun Herald

Basically what Dufferslash_4evah said - Axl was calling all the shots and Duff and the other band members didn't have a say in anything. What Chili posted was also a contributing factor to Duff leaving.

It must have been really hard for Duff to finally decide to leave seeing as him and Axl had been like brothers in the beginning. Duff probably felt really let down by Axl as well.

Offline inka

• Pea Gun Newbie
I think that when he left GNR, he was still a friend with Axl. It just didn't work out anymore and he had to leave.. And I don't think that everything was Axl's fault.. Axl must had hard times back then. It wasn't easy for him.

Offline slashpuppie

• Target Practice
Yeah I dont think it`s fair blaming only Axl even though he sometimes is/were an asshole.
Axl likes to have control and I bet he`s not the easiest man to have do with.

The band was falling apart and without almost non of the original members I guess he had to.

That is not how the band was formed, the band was a family. I am not interested in the Axl Rose Band under the guise of Guns N'Roses."

Could`nt agree more.....  :cry:

Offline Just_Me

^^
And here is a quote from the biography on allmusic written by Carl:

"After [...]Sympathy for the Devil," the band separated to take time away from one another. Thinking that Guns N' Roses was just taking a break, McKagan started working with Slash on the Slash's Snakepit project along with the other members of Guns N' Roses, except for Rose.

Sessions for a new Guns N' Roses album continually fell apart, and McKagan started working with the Neurotic Outsiders and several solo projects from fellow- and former-Guns N' Roses members. As the years began to tick away, Rose finally sent news to the remaining members of the band that they had to stop working on other projects or they were going to be fired. That was the final straw for McKagan, as he separated from the band and joined Seattle punk rockers Ten Minute Warning, a band he had played in almost 15 years before."
That doesn't make any sense.  Duff was never really involved with Snakepit, he co-wrote one song but he didn't play on the album or tour with them. He was working on his own stuff at the time.

The whole time with Neurotic Outsiders he (and the rest of the band) said it was just a side-project for fun and never going to take time away from GNR.  Neurotic Outsiders was basically the same thing as Camp Freddy - it was a jam band that played primarily covers (although they did obviously write some songs of their own), but it was never a serious thing.
And he didn't get involved in Ten Minute Warning, Loaded or any of his other projects until after leaving GNR, so they can't have been a reason for him to quit.

From what we know Shelly's post pretty much covers it.  I don't have a link here but look in any of the existing topics on why GNR split and you'll find a link to a site full of interviews where Duff discussed his reasons - essentially saying that GNR just wasn't what he wanted to be doing at that time.  He didn't hate Axl, they were just moving in diffrent directions by that point.

Offline Chris Axl

• Straight Shooter
From what I`ve heard he and Axl were going for the same direction for the music while Slash wanted another.... Was it the atmosphere since Slash left or what?

please dont lissen to everyone who just say "cus Axl wasa  big controll freak!"

thats not true.

Duff left GN'R cus he dident like the music direction the band was going, he wanted to keep with the AFD sound/hardrcok sound. But Axl wanted to try new stuff (wich I think is fantastick ex. Better, Madagascr, OMG, IRS, TWAT).

Offline Chili

• Sniper Assassin
That doesn't make any sense. Duff was never really involved with Snakepit, he co-wrote one song but he didn't play on the album or tour with them. He was working on his own stuff at the time.

Yeah but the text posted on velvet-revolver.com says that "Rose finally sent news to the remaining members of the band that they had to stop working on other projects or they were going to be fired".  I wonder then if Axl really sent that to the band members. I think that's what the author of the article means by "the last straw".

Offline Just_Me

What I meant was that it doesn't make any sense for Duff's involvement in Snakepit to have been taking time away from work he was doing (or trying to do) with GNR because he was barely involved at all.  He did a tiny bit of writing which was finished with long before Axl started trying to get GNR working together again.

When that happened the only other band Duff was involved in was Neurotic Outsiders, which all the members always insisted was jsut a side-project and always came second to their other bands.
Besdies which if I remember right Axl told them to come back to GNR in 1995, 2 years before Duff left.  If that was the final straw then it was an extremely delayed reaction.

Alternatively here's what Duff said, in his own words, about why he left:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lobby/1117/duffsbeautif2.html
MG: Let's get the Guns N' Roses stuff out of the way. You were offered large sums of money to return to the band that Axl Rose is currently putting back together, were you not? 

DM: Yeah, I was. But it's nothin' but big business these days. That's where it all went, and I was wrapped up right in the middle of it. I had folks yelling in my ear, "Hey man, you can't away from this million and that million, blah blah blah." I had been doing it more for other people than myself. The manager, the label, the band, a bunch of other people. I finally woke up one day, I swear to God, it was just like, "Well, I never started doing this for the money in the first place. So " Hey, when I moved down to Hollywood, I never thought money when it came to music. There was no way I was ever in music for money. Fame, yeah. Girls, yeah. To be up there on stage, shit yeah. But money? And it didn't really hit me until I had already got the house, the car, then two houses, then two cars, and I realized, whoa. I was doing it for the money. It wasn't fun anymore. So when they asked me back, I asked myself, "If I went back now, it would only be for the money, so why should I start doing it for the money now?" No way. It was ridiculous. It was an absolutely ridiculous thought and that's when I just went, "Screw this. Screw the lawyers and the accountants and everything else that's supposed to be so damn important. I want out. I wanna do my music." So that's what I did. 

MG: When Guns first came out, rock 'n' roll was stagnant, and you guys hit like a shot of dynamite. I'll never forget seeing you at the Beacon Theater in New York, thinking, "Wow, these guys are gonna save rock 'n' roll!" There was such an aura of total unpredictability to your live show, like no band since The Doors. Appetite for Destruction is still one of the greatest rock albums ever, your videos were all over TV, then it all unraveled fast. What the hell happened? 

DM: Don't you think I've asked myself that same question over and over? I don't know. Because if there was one thing about the band, we were such a family. We really did do it totally on our own. We didn't have a manager at the beginning, we did everything -- we got a lawyer, and we got our deal. We didn't trust anybody, and rightfully so. This secret society was created, it was us against everybody else. Nobody could really get in and we thought to ourselves, "Nothing could ever tear us apart!" 

MG: Was it the drugs? 

DM: Not so much. You know what it was? It was the fame. It was the press. It was the almost unlimited power. We got too f.ckin' huge, too fast. It got so big, so fast, that in most countries, we couldn't even go out after the show when we were on tour. I remember we'd all be sittin' in the damn hotel room watching CNN just to see what was going on. It was that kind of isolation, that kind of fame And, of course, us trying so hard to be bad boys like The Rolling Stones. For me, personally, it was one of the darkest points of my life when we were that big. It was so unreal. Izzy left halfway through the Illusions tour. We still were holding on to that band family thing. And like a trooper, he came back out on the road with us -- even though his heart wasn't in it -- when Gilby broke his wrist. Later, he told me we were like zombies. Nobody on the stage was even talking to each other. It wasn't because we hated each other, we were just kind of going through the motions. So scary. In Europe and South America, especially, it was fanatical, and we were just dazed. WE WERE F.CKING ZOMBIES! Izzy couldn't believe the change. I mean, we were hell-bent on doing whatever we had to do to continue. There were riots in the streets. We couldn't go from our cars to the gig. That shit scared the hell out of me. Yet, through it all, I still thought we were gonna pull it together after we got off that long tour. It started to happen again for a second for us. I got excited again For about a minute. But no, it was just too big a business, and none of us had the training for that. 

MG: At what point did you think it was gonna come back together? 

DM: We started going to Slash's house. I'd gone out on the road promoting my first solo record [1993's Believe In Me]. I was touring Europe and Japan, then I got sick. That's when I started visiting Slash at his house. He has a little studio there and we had a batch of songs. But ya' know what? Without Izzy, we just weren't writing the old way. We had a bunch of great songs, but the way we used to write wasn't all sitting in a room and trying to force ourselves to be a family. We just were But there was a point up there where it was looking good and we started cranking out songs, but it just started falling apart.

HP: As you're establishing yourself as a solo entity, which is more important to you: double platinum sales or incredible artistic credibility and critical response?
Duff: The latter. Money has never driven me. When I left Guns, I was lucid and sober. I kept getting calls saying, "Duff, you're the only one who can save this band." Carrots were being dangled in front of me, millions of dollars here and millions of dollars there. That stuff would go into my head. But I have a house. I have everything I need. I was trying to save the band because of all the fans who had come and supported the Use Your Illusion tour. Guns has never been about the money so why would I do it now? I realized, this is not the direction that I want to go.

In other words GNR got to be too much about the buisness and not enough about the music and not the direction Duf wanted to be going in at the time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:12:48 AM by Just_Me »

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin

Offline Nightrain_80

• Straight Shooter
"who's to blame" off Duff's second solo album Beautiful Disease is about the breakup of Guns N' Roses.

Also, he said somewhere, I cant remember where, that Axl offered him a lot of money to say in Guns and his reponse was something on the lines of..........
I didn't start playing music to make money, so why start now ?!

something like that.

Buy a bootlegged BD, its life changing.

Offline Just_Me

Buy a bootlegged BD, its life changing.
Don't buy it.  A lot of them go for almost as much as the original promo copies they were made from and its not worth it as plenty of people will give it to you for free.  But everyone definately has to hear it.

But Who's To Blame doesn't really say anyhting about why the band broke up.  If anything its saying that Duff doesn't know who's fault it was.

Oh and I think that interview you mentioned is the one I posted earlier.  If not then he's said exactly the same thing in that one.

Offline Pixies

• Target Practice
Yeha very intresting read! But i think everyone in GNR got fed up with Axl being controlling all the time...I mean at one point he said to them that they had to sign over the GNR name to him or that was the end of the band... Not really  nice way to go about in a band or is it just me? :D

Offline Igna_Rose

• Straight Shooter
  • Slash is god

please dont lissen to everyone who just say "cus Axl wasa  big controll freak!"

thats not true.

Duff left GN'R cus he dident like the music direction the band was going, he wanted to keep with the AFD sound/hardrcok sound. But Axl wanted to try new stuff (wich I think is fantastick ex. Better, Madagascr, OMG, IRS, TWAT).

"I sat down with Axl and said this is no longer a band, it's an autocratic situation where you're calling all the shots and that's not a way to run a band. That is not how the band was formed, the band was a family. I am not interested in the Axl Rose Band under the guise of Guns N'Roses."

I don't think the whole "music direction" was the only reason. And according this words, neither does duff.

Offline Pixies

• Target Practice
Axl was a control freak...It was all about him...He went on stage when he was ready...When he wanted to leave they have no choice to leav, he was a drama queen and everyone knows that, end of story.

Offline tommyguns

• Pea Gun Newbie
Axl was a control freak...It was all about him...He went on stage when he was ready...When he wanted to leave they have no choice to leav, he was a drama queen and everyone knows that, end of story.

Well your a prick !

Get a life you stupid low life piece of shit

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
tommyguns, I could have linked you to a specific rule in our guide lines, but I think it's better if you just read the whole thing...

http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=25490.0

Offline Pixies

• Target Practice
Hey no need to be like that, i'm just expressing my opinion like everybody else has. At i'm sorry but he did let fame get to his head or do you disagree? Many people on here have said it too not just me. The whole point of these boards is to express your feelings towards the bands, thats what i'm doing.

Offline Pixies

• Target Practice
P.s why are you on a forum then where people express there feelings? And have many different opinions? This is what happens on forums.

Offline tommyguns

• Pea Gun Newbie
Hey no need to be like that, i'm just expressing my opinion like everybody else has. At i'm sorry but he did let fame get to his head or do you disagree? Many people on here have said it too not just me. The whole point of these boards is to express your feelings towards the bands, thats what i'm doing.

Ok i am sorry for being agressive , i was a bit drunk !

But there no smoke with out fire !

Offline tommyguns

• Pea Gun Newbie
P.s why are you on a forum then where people express there feelings? And have many different opinions? This is what happens on forums.

A good opion is when it is constructive and lots of reason why you think that!

Not calling one of the best leader singers ever a freak.

Dont you think ?

Offline Pixies

• Target Practice
Thats cool, don't worry about it. I'm ot saying i don't like Axl as a preformer cause i do just don't like him as a person.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 02:13:46 AM by Pixies »

Offline Pixies

• Target Practice
Well if you had read the last posts with my disscussions with the rest of the members you would see why i thought that.